Friday, March 20, 2009

FIRE IN THE (W)HOLE darn oven!!!

My foodie Friday is sadly lacking in a picture, but I haven't figured out time travel back to when I was a new wife, 30+ years ago.
Being a brand new wife at the time and wanting to impress my husband I decided to make his favorite cake, pineapple upside down cake. It all went wrong when I got distracted and the cake caught fire in the oven. I promptly went and got the fire extinguisher and sprayed it until it was no longer flaming. I managed to get the "torch in a pan" outside and opened all the windows to air it out.
Here is where the warning comes: DO NOT discharge a fire extinguisher in the house unless you are sure the entire building is going to burn to the ground! It snowed F.E. chemicals for days!!! Everything was coated and had to be cleaned, and I mean every single thing in the apartment.
I have since been more diligent in keeping an eye on what I'm making.

I had an experience to share about cleaning up those "Train Wrecks":

Several months ago I was invited by Elder A. to join them for their district meeting. Before the meeting began, Elder A. was asking me a question. He wanted to know how many times he should run the self cleaning oven, to get the soot at the bottom to leave. (I had done an apartment cleaning training the month before, but forgot to go into detail on that). I explained that it doesn't just go away but you just take a paper towel and wipe up the soot at the end of each cleaning
Then he started the meeting and the opening song he had chosen was "If You Could Hie to Kolob". We got to the verse about "there is no end to matter..." and I just cracked up. I explained that by cleaning the oven he was a witness to a "correct doctrine", there is no end to matter, you can change it but you can't create it or make it cease to exist.

Have a Lovely Day~
Alicia

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning!! I love your post about Jill the GPS. My husband called last night and said his had lead him right into a parking lot instead of to the highway:) Do you think they have a sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to fire extinguishers and the never ending matter. I spent one whole night cleaning my mother's kitchen after I set a skillet on fire. It amazed me how the foam had crept into the cabinets--and the cabinet doors were closed!
    Thanks so much for this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story..I've never used a fire extinguisher...had lots of small fires...but just used baking soda....
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious about the no end to matter. How funny.

    Thanks for dropping by and my maiden name is Robbins. I had to see a feathered family friend :)

    We are about the same age and I have no grandbabies yet. You are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from a fellow Mormon!

    I've never had a disaster like that but I can't seem to make peace with baking. Something always goes wrong and I have to repeat. You see I don't follow recipes and I end up tweaking most of it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor thing! I've never had the misfortune of cleaning up a fire extinguisher mess, but thank you for the warning on the mess they make. I would have never guessed that.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stories! I had read the elder one and will never sing that song again with out remembering 'soot and no end to matter!' LOL

    I am so sorry for you! We too had to clean up after a fire extinguisher... What a glory mess.

    I am so glad you found my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, I too have a fire-in-the-whole-oven story from my newlywed days. What a mess!

    Loved your stories, thanks for sharing!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness - amazing about the fire extinguisher! I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a wonderful story. Sometimes I do think that the self-cleaning ovens are more trouble than they are worth. Nancy

    ReplyDelete